Saturday, January 21, 2012

Year of the Dragon New Year's card

This week, the Cheers & Challenges Eclectic Ensemble (CCEE) Stampers are celebrating the Chinese New Year with a fun challenge: "Either use a Dragon on your card or find out what animal relates to your birthday year in the Chinese Zodiac and create a card using that animal." Since I was born in the Year of the Snake, I decided to make a snake-skin pattern...but then it occurred to me that this is very similar to dragon-skin, so I guess this is a two-fer!


As soon as I saw this incredible photo (left) for the Patterned Paper challenge at DYSU, I knew I had to make something with my Mykonos paper by 7 Gypsies. I made the "scales" by lining up a Spellbinders die on the lovely paper and embossing & cutting each circle separately, so this did take quite a while... I also edged them in black.

On another piece from the same paper pad, I heat-embossed this  {ippity} Stamps sentiment in black, and added some sheer green ribbon & gold gemstones.

This card is also inspired by Jen Rzasa's gorgeous card for CASE Study #74. In fact, I was so inspired by her work that I used the scrap from my first project to make a 2nd project, this one inspired by Jen's DT card for this week! (Be sure to check out Jen's cards.)

It's difficult to see in this photo, but the top piece is popped up from the base:

I embossed & cut little flowers & centers from another piece of the 7 Gypsies paper, using a Spellbinders die & my Big Shot. I glued the toppers onto tiny metal brads, built the flowers, and used the brads to attach the flowers into the circles.

Everything is distressed with Tea Dye distress ink. Except the sentiment piece, on which I used Antique Linen distress ink. I'm addicted to this stuff now!

The sentiment is from a new-to-me set from Clear Art Stamps. I wanted to stamp it onto ribbon, but I didn't have any that would work so I made made own faux ribbon with a white linen cardstock. I sewed a tight straight stitch in white, and distressed the "ribbon" with ink & my paper distresser.

I also stitched the edges of the top piece, but my bobbin crapped out on my early on so it's just empty stitching. Looked good to me, and was easier than fighting with my machine at that point!

This could be a card, but I really like it and think I'll just hang it in my house. Happy New Year everyone!




11 comments:

  1. All your hard work was worth it, these cards are so detailed and lovely, gr8 to see whst you have been upto :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the challenge. Very creative thinking, using theblook of snakeskin. Thanks so much, for joining us in the CCEE challenge with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What super cards! Great to see that you used your scraps from your first card to produce another super one!
    Thanks for joining us on CASE Study this week :)
    Hugs,
    Aimes
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. your cards are pure genius! I can't even begin to tell you how much I love them...... wow! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of your cards are so colorful and fun! Love how you shaped the top card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great cards. Thanks for joining us at Do You Stack Up.

    -Wenche

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, these are awesome cards...so detailed..thanks for joining us at CASE Study, hope your week is fantastic!

    enjoy *~*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea with the "scales". Very cool card! Thanks for playing with the CCEE stampers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The scales look brilliant. And i love the self-made flowers. Great set of cards. Thanks for playing along with us at DYSU.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, amazing takes on Jen's work. Thanks for joining us at CASE study.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!! Very lovely card!! I really love the first one with all the circles. Thanks for joining us at Do You Stack Up this week. Hugs, Joan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I truly appreciate it, and I will enjoy hopping over to your blog as well.