Sunday, February 13, 2011

Cheat-blocking

I ran across a gorgeous card at Snappy Stampin' with Arielle H. Gordon that used the color-blocking technique, and it was so nice that I used it twice! What a great technique for color challenges...there are so many options, and the result always looks impressive. Arielle links to a tutorial at SplitCoastStampers, which is very helpful and full of inspiration. She also has a version using circles that is incredible, but I'll have to practice a little more to pull that off!

This is my first attempt at colorblocking; I used one of favorite paisley rubber stamps because it's so full of detail. The sentiment is actually the second line of the Made Just/For You stamp that came in my rubber Alice in Wonderland set. I'm such a risk-taker! I mounted this front onto black card and made a message space from the purple. However, I put it in the mail before taking photos! What can I say, I needed a last-minute card!

Inspiration: Color Throwdown Challenge #128 (palette on right)
Supplies: Recollections & Core'dinations cardstocks, Fiskars papercutter, ZipDry glue, ColorBox liquid chalk, Memento and StazOn inks, sentiment cling-mount rubber stamp from Alice in Wonderland set, Paisley rubber stamp by Stampabilities

This is my second attempt at color-blocking, and it came out so well because I'm a great big cheater. I decided to work with my pretty flower silicon stamp set, which I just discovered is by K&Company, and this week's sketch at Card Positioning Systems. Well, one thing led to another and I ended up importing the sketch image into SCAL (at 5% brightness, to create the gaps between the sections) so that I could cut exactly the pieces I wanted onto four colors of paper. After running it through the Cricut, I stamped the Copic (white) paper while it was still on the mat. I decided to try the emboss-resist method, which led to a sad story of yet another Cricut mat succumbing to fine embossing powder and a heat tool. I guess that's what I get for cheating and stealing that layout! Totally worth it. I think the best choice I made with this card was using this pre-printed, vintage-y, dotted green paper as the base. So glad I saved it!

Inspiration:
Sketch: Card Positioning Systems #205
Color: SPCC #86
Supplies: Recollections & Core'dinations cardstocks, Fiskars papercutter, ZipDry glue, Martha Stewart and Versamark liquid chalks, Memento ink, sentiment stamp by Hero Arts, K&Company Amy Butler Lotus Floral silicon stamps, Cricut & SCAL, Stampendous! embossing powder, Marvy heat tool
Copic Ciao markers: YR 04, E08, R02, G99, G21, BG93, YG41

5 comments:

amber said...

oh wow...i might have to try that color blocking technique! love the color scheme on your 2nd card too! great sketch!

Stephanie *SP Diva* said...

Very pretty card! Love it! Thanks for playing at SPCC!

Jacqueline said...

Good Job on the sketch - I like the idea of the pattern paper.
Visit my on my blog - I have a BLOG CANDY GIVEAWAY going on that you may be interested in.

Lea L. said...

These are very pretty! I love the colors you've used on your CPS card, and those beautiful flowers! Happy Valentine's Day! ♥♥♥

Arielle ~ SnappyStamper said...

You did a FABULOUS job!!! Aren't new techniques fun?!?!