Friday, July 29, 2011

Making a Splash

I had too much fun making the shrink-plastic charm for my LOTV Christmas card, and couldn't wait to try some more. So when I was going through my Blog Feed that morning I was really tickled to see these gorgeous shrink-plastic earrings by Lola Cordova on the Bugaboo Stamps blog. Guess who's putting printable shrink-plastic on her shopping list?! (Lola, you left a lovely comment on my flip-book post while I was writing this...thank you! And never say you "can't" because you'll find yourself doing it!)

Something I've wanted to try for some time is matching a shrunk stamp with the original stamp. I started with this beautiful splash stamp from Raisin Boat. The main image is that stamp four times in four blues, one of which is heat-embossing. I then sprayed the whole thing with "Frost" glimmer mist. The brad is stamped with two smaller splashes that came in the set, and sprayed with the same glimmer.

For the shrink-art, I used StazOn to stamp the large splash onto clear shrink plastic, cut it out, punched a hole, and shrunk it with my heat tool. I strung the finished piece onto some clear plastic beading thread, added a couple of faux-pearl beads and a clasp. As you can see in the photo on the right, the image shows up sorta transparent on the skin.

I then taped up the chain and hung the necklace onto the card, using the brad to help hold it down. I've had this idea in my head for a while, but the photo and sketch inspirations at Birthday Sundaes and CPS really brought it all together.

Inspiration: CPS Sketch #228 (on right)
Birthday Sundaes Challenge #19: Inspiration Photo (on left)

Stamps: Raisin Boat, Inkadinkado
Paper: Core'dinations, Recollections, stash
Tools: Marvy heat tool, Fiskars papercutter, Marvy punch, Crop-O-Dile, Tim Holtz paper distresser & scissors, shrink plastic
Other: ZipDry glue, Stampendous embossing powder, Versamark, Memento & StazOn inks, Copics, brad from stash, Tattered Angels glimmer mist, stash jewelry supplies, stash pearl beads

5 comments:

  1. Nice card and lovely shrink art! Great job on the CPS sketch and thanks for playing along this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow lovely creation n lovely shrink art dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,

    How creative is that!!! Such a super card...

    xxx Monica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful...just beautiful....love shrink plastic.
    You aced it with this creation, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I truly appreciate it, and I will enjoy hopping over to your blog as well.