Friday, April 8, 2016

Inlaid Box

When I saw the "Inlaid Dies" Challenge at Addicted to CAS, my first idea was to recreate a wooden box with etching and inlays framed with metal. This was a fun technique; I may have to use it for an actual paper box someday.


The brown square started as a scrap piece of corrugated cardboard; I inked it with brown chalk ink (Quick Quotes) and ran it through my Big Shot with a fancy die. The outer edge cut through but the little pieces didn't, as intended. I sprayed the inner piece with a Satin coating before cutting out the flower (Sizzix) & branch (Sweet Stamps) pieces; I ran these dies through my Big Shot twice to ensure a deep cut. The frames are cut from a gold paper (Recollections) and the inset pieces are cut from a pearly cardstock; I used SU! Wasabi ink for the green parts. I strung some twine around the "box" and used a metal ring to attach a metal Hamsa charm (which I heat-embossed with Gold powder) and a sentiment tag (cut with an EC die & stamped with a Jillibean Soup stamp in Vintage Photo distress ink.) The card front is a lightest beige cardstock. To be honest, this was very much inspired by the urn/box that the Vet put our dear dog Allen into when we lost him a few weeks ago. I miss him very much, and am glad that I have crafting to help me through this time.

http://papersweeties.com/blog/paper-sweeties-inspiration-challenge-april-2016/
Inspiration/Challenges:
Addicted to CAS Challenge #85: Inlaid Dies (2nd entry)
Paper Sweeties: Inspiration #42






4 comments:

  1. This is absolutely stunning, CG! WOW ... what a neat technique! Thank you so much for sharing your lovely project with us at Paper Sweeties this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a natural feel. So eye catching. Thanks for playing along with ADTCAS . X Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the look of this... looks like leather! Just beautiful! So glad you could join us at Paper Sweeties!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sympathy for the loss of your sweet pet. The card you created is beautiful...love the dark rich look. Thanks for joining us at ATAS.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I truly appreciate it, and I will enjoy hopping over to your blog as well.