Monday, April 2, 2012

Feliz Semana Santa

Since this coming Sunday is Easter, this week is Holy Week, or Semana Santa in Spanish-speaking countries. Having grown up in southern Spain, I have very fond memories of this week full of processions, pasos, and penitentes (to get an idea of what I'm talking about, start here at Google Images). There aren't many people in my life now that have shared this experience, so I wanted to make a special card for my folks, who definitely were there!

I'm so happy to be able to use the lovely Feliz Semana Santa sentiment from the Que Siga La Fiesta stamp set by Dilo en EspaƱol. The flourish stamp is from Stampendous; I used painter's tape to create quick mask for the sentiment portion. I used the same stamp for the silver faux metal embellishment.

The purple triangles represent the cone-shaped "hats" worn by the penitentes (there are many different colors), and the black lace represents the lace-and-comb mantilla worn by many of the women in the procession.

I'm pleased with how this came out (although I couldn't get a photo); it was a fun way to spend Palm Sunday!
Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.

Inspiration/Challenges:
Crazy4Challenges #130: Sketch (right)
Lexi's Creations - Focus on the Sentiment
Raise The Bar: The Promise of Easter (religious)
Whimsy Inspiration Challenge 32: No Patterned Paper

3 comments:

  1. Original and elegant. Love the combination of blues with black.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful love the colours and layout.

    Thank you for joining us at Lexis Creations.

    Hugs Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful card and I love your explanation of the meaning of the different elements - very interesting! Thanks for joining us at Lexi's Creations for our challenge "Focus on the Sentiment"

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I truly appreciate it, and I will enjoy hopping over to your blog as well.