Friday, March 25, 2011

Barcodes & Hedgehogs

I really enjoyed following the CPS sketch to make the two birthday cards I finally stuck in the mail today, so I decided to do the same with this week's Mojo Monday sketch.

The book I used as a pedestal in this photo is A Critical Pronouncing Dictionary [...] with Directions for Foreigners by John Walker (New York City, 1815). It's not something I like to handle very often, since it's, what, 196 years old‽ but I hate to put it away and not enjoy it. It's really a wonderful book, with lots of words that we don't use anymore, at least not in States. Funny to think how many of my recent ancestors weren't even considering being American, or, for that matter, English-speaking when this book was published.

The barcode-themed sentiment was a group effort: I designed it PhotoShop, but my husband came up with the sentiment (free your imagination), and the barcode image is the actual barcode from Everything is True at Once by Bart Galle (Passager Books, 2010), which I happened to have in my design files.

Feeling bookish, I tore out the Acknowledgments page from my copy of Diane Ackerman's A Natural History of the Senses. Sorry Diane; thanks for taking one for the team! Then I dyed it by soaking it in warm water & neon-green food coloring for an hour or so, occasionally wringing it and flattening it again. I let it dry for a bit in the sun, then finished it with my heat tool.

Inspiration:
Mojo Monday Sketch #183
iCopic Challenge #22: green, lime, turquoise
Digi Stamps:
Amber Reads
by Just Some Lines
Books from Schoolgirl set by Tiddly Inks
Supplies: Brazzill, Recollections and Hammermill cardstocks, SCAL & Cricut, MS border punch, Perpetua Titling for sentiment, 09KutUps for frames, Wave border cut file from [digital] stash
Copic markers: E50, E51, RV21, Y000, BG15, G02, BG93, TG76, G10, B39, G07, BG49, B05, G21


There is not one part of this card that I didn't have fun making! I think I can always say that, but this time especially. I recently received 2 new lavender Copics so I can't get enough of purple shading. Also, I love coloring these cute Hedgehogs from Penny Black that Mom and I have been collecting.

Here I used a larger version of the sentiment I used for the CPS sketch cards, thinking I'd keep the rest of the card pretty simple. Um, didn't happen. This is actually fairly heavy!



Inspiration:
Mojo Monday Sketch #183

Stamp: Message from Above from Penny Black
Supplies: DCWV Blossoms & Butterflies Stack, Brazzill and Hammermill cardstocks, stash decorative scrapbooking paper, Martha Stewart and Hero Arts gem stickers, MS border punch, Copic markers, SCAL & Cricut, 09KutUps font (for frames), Scriptina font for sentiment, Fiskars papercutter, scalloped circle punch and texturing plate & tool, HP printer & ink, Adobe PS & ID

1 comment:

  1. CG this is a lovely card, so criginal.

    there is a little something for you on my blog, come visit when you get the chance

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I truly appreciate it, and I will enjoy hopping over to your blog as well.