Monday, March 28, 2011

Cityscapes on the rise...and popping up

As you might have noticed, beautiful cityscapes have been going up all over the crafting blogosphere this week, thanks to the Cityscapes Are on the Rise challenge at Moxie Fab World. Not only did Cath provide us with great inspiration, the projects people have created are a-maz-ing. Three that stood out to me were My Creative Journey (building made of stamped sentiments), Mackenzie Mae Designs (the layout & colors), and The Stampin' Bean (innovative & just plain beautiful use of fonts).

Thanks to the
Elvis Song Challenge over at Crafty Ann's, I found a perfect sentiment in his cover of "Home Is Where the Heart Is". I love cityscapes, despite the fact that they are apparently "hip". I decided that this challenge was just the excuse I needed to finish my city pop-out cut file that I've been working on; it's part of a series working off of my original pop-out house. Due to technical problems with SCAL and Cricut it took me a lot longer to cut these pieces than it might have, so I'm rushing to make the deadline. But I think I like the end result!

The yellow pieces are just a light, white cardstock sprayed with bright yellow spray ink and "banana pudding" chalk ink. This took forever to dry and flatten, and, even after rubbing off the excess "shine" after drying, it got glittery chalk everywhere, but the color is great and totally worth it. And if you clicked on the "banana pudding" link, you'll know what song I had stuck in my head the whole time!

I think this layout would make a great version of Chen Rosenberg's fantastic Hanukkah card I discovered on the Tuesday Trio blog. I love the idea of the cityscape with a candles in the windows...


Inspiration:

Moxie Fab World Challenge: Cityscapes Are on the Rise
Crafty Ann's Challenge #37: Elvis Song
Pop-out pencil holder: Extreme Cards & Papercrafting

Supplies: Recollections cardstocks, pre-embossed paper from stash, Inkadinkado spray ink, Tattered Angels chalk spray ink, Martha Stewart and Recollections border punches, SCAL & Cricut, Fiskars papercutter and scalloped circle punch

8 comments:

  1. This is fabulous and what a fun take on the challenge. Thanks so much for the shout-out -- that was so sweet of you. Have a wonderful rest of your week! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulously constructed card and song interpretation. Thank you for joining us at Crafty Ann's this week.
    Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I've not seen anything like this before (I lead a sheltered life, lol) so this is fabulous! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a card! Lots of work and patience and the result is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this turned out amazing...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!! This is fantastic cg, wonderful work, thank you for joining us at Crafty Ann's with it.
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is super cool! 3D cards are just so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Christina! Thanks for entering the Cityscapes Are on the Rise challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I truly appreciate it, and I will enjoy hopping over to your blog as well.