Friday, February 17, 2012

Faux real.

The Faux Technique challenge at Gingersnap Creations has really caught my interest. Their Design Team is providing lots of inspiration, with lots more promised before the March 18 deadline...I may have to enter again!

For this card, I tried the Faux Linen and Faux Metal techniques. I'm not sure either looks like faux anything, but I'm happy with the result! I also added some Faux Stitching with my awl and a copper Sakura gel pen.

For the Faux Linen piece, I used the beautiful FREEBIE digi paper that Funky Hand is providing for their Get Funky! February Challenge. Since the theme is Flying High, I also used stamps from Funky Hand's Our Betty series.

It was such a difficult decision to only color Betty's balloons...but I really liked the look, and my Design Consultant (husband) agreed!

The Stampendous Impressions Challenge February theme is Texture, which I created mostly with heat-embossing. The image is stamped on vellum and heat-embossed in copper. I mixed the "Faux Metal" technique with Stampendous' "Frantage" technique for the sentiment.

The rosette is actually the first one I ever made, last week when I bought the Tim Holtz die. I cut it on scrap -- the cover of a package for Recollections Gold Metallic cardstock. I stamped it in watermark ink before starting the embossing process (for the Frantage technique, you heat the paper from underneath).

I even made some tissue tape for the right-hand-side element (I thought I was making Faux Tissue Tape, but I think I just made tissue tape!). I stamped a Stampendous! border in Copper onto tissue paper (which came between pieces of acetate), cut it down to half an inch with my papercutter, and adhered it onto a piece of vellum tape. Easy-peasy! No, really!
Inspiration/Challenges:
Get Funky! February Challenge: Flying High + Funky Hand paper or extra

Tutorials from Splitcoaststampers: Faux Linen and Faux Metal

12 comments:

  1. This such a lovely card. I think you have certainly got the faux linen effect perfectly, I thought the paper had been printed onto fabric! Betty looks great with her balloons. Thank you very much for taking the time to join in with this months Get Funky challenge.
    Anice xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely card and great techniques
    thanks for joining in this month with Get Funky
    AllisonX

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all looks fab CG. It's good to try new things & I particularly like the faux linen! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG CG this one is so creative and beaaaaaaautiful.

    Every morning I wake up and switch on my comp and get your good news, this morning too, thank you so much, and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CG this i sjust fabulous hun!!
    I love the linen effect and betty looks awesome!
    thank you so much for getting funky with us this month
    hugs Lou xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, that may not look like faux metal, but what a great effect--a super fun card!

    Thank you for joining in at Gingersnap Creations!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely adorable! I love he embossing and that rosette! Thanks for joining us for this week's sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Betty looks great with her balloons! Great techniques too! Thanks for entering the Get Funky! Challenge – hope you can join us again next time on the Funky Fifteenth! Get Funky!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your "faux" techniques worked perfectly, your card is lovely.
    Tahnks for taking part in the Get Funky challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fab card! Love the linen effect! Thanks so much for sharing your project with us over at Get Funky! I do hope you can join us for our new challenge too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a lot of faux, and it all turned out beautifully! Thanks for sharing with Gingersnap Creations!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I truly appreciate it, and I will enjoy hopping over to your blog as well.