Friday, February 17, 2012

Sweet Peas

I received this beautiful Sweet Pea Flowers digi by priscillastyles as part of my prize from MMSC 133/134, and I just had to use it for their February Sketch Challenge. I have a special place in my heart for sweet peas; several wonderful people have given me that nickname, including the woman I plan to send this to (the mother of a friend; my friend is "Sweet Pea" and I'm "Sweet Pea #2"!).

Inspiration/Challenges:
Midnight Madness Challenge #193: February Sketches
Paper Pretties Challenge #193: Unique Fold
Pretty Little Ribbon Shop February Challenge #7: Anything goes...with ribbon
Simon Says Stamp and Show: Anything Goes (+ Vintage)

The image on the right shows the card closed with a tiny clothespin; here it is opened:


I chose these gorgeous papers (two double-sided sheets) from My Mind's Eye's Lost & Found series, and distressed all the pieces with Antique Linen distress ink. I cut all the pieces with a Spellbinders die in my Big Shot...it worked out okay, but I'm not going to try to emboss/cut a stack of embossed glitter paper again! It left a cool texture tho! But I still have glitter on my embossing pads...!

The first image is printed on vellum; the second image is printed on Hammermill, and I made it into a Notch Swing Card element. The concept is simple: secure a piece of paper slightly larger than the cut-out space by cutting small slits, or notches, in both.

And another view:



And the back:


My favorite part of this card is the little bag on the inside (see close-up on right). I've been saving this Seed Packet image from Beyond the Fringe Crafts ever since it was posted way back in August (as I said, I really like sweet peas!). I fashioned the bag from a small envelope; I used deckle scissors for the top and distress it all with Antique Linen distress ink. I printed the image (reversed, at Best settings) onto acetate, and then transferred it onto the envelope/bag. If you've never tried it, check out my tutorial.

I added a little color to the image with Copics, which I used for the rest of my coloring as well. I'm very pleased with this card; now to just remember to put it in the mail!

Have a beautiful day.


Update: I was the bonus winner for Midnight Madness Challenge #193! Whoop!

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely folded card and the image and coloring gorgeous

    Cheers
    Sonia
    cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This card is just beautiful! I love the vellum on the front, and the swing in the middle. Very cute. I'd never heard of a notch swing card and am wondering how it's put together. The seed packet is just perfect on the card. Thanks so much for sharing, I'll provide a link back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful and elegant. It's a wonderful and clever touch with the leaves around the frame. WTG. Thanks for joining the Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge, LindaS/MMSC'DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your card is lovely. I really love the design of the card with it's accordion folds and surprise center circle cut out. It's very unique! I Like the papers you've chosen. Your stamped image on the front is very pretty and I love the leaf trim you've added around the circle cut out. Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous card and so many wonderful details. I love the cut outs and pretty delicate colours...love the polka dots too! Thanks so much for sharing with Simon Says Stamp & Show!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is gorgeous and fabulous!
    love the look of it!

    hugs and kisses from germany,
    silvi xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful. Love the fresh spirng colouring of this and thanks for sharing the tutorial.
    Hugs
    Desire

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did such an amazing job with Priscilla's sweet peas...one of my favorites! I love the "windows" and the tri-fold card. Everything is so beautiful! Thanks for playing the Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge this month. Hope to see you again in March!
    Renee
    MMSC DT

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I truly appreciate it, and I will enjoy hopping over to your blog as well.