Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Aud Candy!

With Halloween just around the corner, I can't stop thinking about candy, so I jumped on the invite to participate in the Aud Sentiments October Blogcandy challenge, which won't put any padding on my hips, but hopefully will put some copic markers from Mad for Markers in my hand (or yours!)

Mad for Markers has its own blog, so in celebration I decided to enter their Anything But a Card challenge. For me, the most difficult part of the challenge was to try to make copic markers the star of the project. Heck, I was referring to them as coptic markers until recently! Presently I own 3 copics: 2 skintones and the blender. With that as my challenge, I chose the small Flying Valentine stamp from the MMoA collection because I thought it would be fun to use the blender to change the tint of the markers. It
was fun and I really like the result. Cutting out those tiny angels was less fun, both worth it.

For the "Anything But a Card" part of the challenge, I immediately wanted to make a bottle-cap book. It's the last project I haven't made at least one of from Mad for Minis by Michele Charles. I was reminded of this type of book when my wonderfully patient husband asked me the other day, "Babe, I assume there's a reason we keep all our bottle caps in the utensil drawer?"
O! I replied, There's this book idea I read somewhere and... "Enough said!" he smiled, shutting the drawer, "Crafting Purposes!" So I felt that it was about time to try my hand at one.
I stamped the angels in black and then heat-embossed them with clear embossing powder, before coloring them. I printed the text "pages" with a yellow fill on cream gemstones paper, to give it some beery shimmer. I adhered the booklet to the the bottle-cap covers with pop-dots. It really was easy to design: bottle caps are 1x1 inches, and I love a round number!
Because I chose two nice Corona Extra bottle-caps, I decided to find a quote about drinking, found this saying, supposedly from Mexico: A man is defined by the beer he drinks and the company he keeps, but mostly by the beer he drinks. I must admit I got a kick of of Corona's current motto: For some moments, only a Corona will do. How true!

Inspiration: Mad for Markers Anything But a Card challenge
Bottle-cap book idea: Mad for Minis by Michele Charles (Design Originals, 2005)
Rubber Stamp: Metropolitan Museum of Art Hearts & Flowers collection: Flying Valentine detail from
An Alphabet of Old Friends, Walter Crane, 1874
Supplies: Recollections cardstock, ZipDry glue, Gotham Book typeface, Adobe InDesign, MeltArt clear embossing powder, heat embossing tool, Tim Holtz scissors, StazOn ink, Copic E33, E35 & 0 (blender)

And don't forget to check out the Aud Sentiments October Blogcandy challenge!

5 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea, I never would have thought of using bottle tops to make a little book out of. Very Creative! Thanks so much for joining us over at Mad For Markers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! This is so clever! What a fun idea!
    Thanks for joining in our Mad for Markers challenge :D
    Sammi
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. First CJ so glad I am not the only one that collects bottle tops lol! They have been there just in case, thank you for giving me this wonderful idea to use them! Very clever project, thanks for sharing. Thank you for joining us in our Anything but a card Copic Colouring Challenge over at Mad for Markers, hope to see again soon, take careX:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a clever idea!!
    A bowl full of these with different sayings would be a great for a party.

    Thanks for joining the challenge at Mad for Markers.

    Michelle :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is clever project! Thanks for joining in our "Anything but a Card" challenge at M4M and good luck!
    Alicia xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I truly appreciate it, and I will enjoy hopping over to your blog as well.