Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Very Wealthy Woman

Even though I have a pile of Halloween Boot pull-out cards that need to be finished up and sent out to various loved ones, I just had to take a break to try my hand at this week's Character Cafe Challenge: Orange, 3 Squares & 3 Flowers. There was just something about it that tickled my challenge bone.

I didn't feel like making another Halloween card, so I chose the Mexican version:
Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead). Actually, for half our family that's much more appropriate anyway. Having finally found some printable transparency film, I was able to make a magic picture card pretty quickly. The image I chose is of Catrina ("wealthy" woman") by José Guadalupe Posada, because I've always enjoyed the pun (and the idea that we're all equal in death). Halloween in American culture is all about being something else, and the Dia de los Muertos tradition seems to be almost the opposite.

For the card design itself I used the Character Cafe Challenge, and I love how it informs on the marigolds that are traditional for this holiday.

The image above is the card with the pull down. I printed the back image in black on Recollections silver paper.

Here's a CU of the "magic" part. It's black on white, hand-colored with Sharpies. The quote is traditional: He who lives with hope dies happy. Hmm, makes me want to dig into a nice sugar skull...

Speaking of candy, Designs by Denise is running a blogcandy drawing through December 1. I know I'm putting my number in the feathered hat!

3 comments:

  1. What a great take on our challenge this week! Thanks for sharing your talent with us at The Character Cafe. Hope to see you again Friday for our next challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this card design...it's very unique and the image is too. Glad you joined us at The Character Cafe this week!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I really like the flowers on the card. I haven't done many of the pull out cards. Hope you will join us again next week. Hugs, dj

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I truly appreciate it, and I will enjoy hopping over to your blog as well.