Saturday, October 16, 2010

Jack O Lace!

Autumn is shaking out her frost-kissed curls all over Baltimore, and I'm having my yearly should-I-or-shouldn't-I pumpkin carving crisis. I have many wonderful childhood memories of our yearly pumpkin, which was carved, gutted, and turned into garlic pumpkin seeds, maybe a pie, and compost. I also have many fond memories of nearly stabbing myself repeatedly in vain attempts to copy what was always an overly complicated design I drew on with ballpoint. My Jack-O-Lanterns always looked a little worried, and the candle never sat straight, but my folks proudly went through the whole process. When I started living on my own, however, I found that I burned the seeds, regular pumpkin makes a boring pie, and I'm totally incapable of parting with anything I've created for the house. Makes sense, considering one of my favorite childhood books was Mousekin's Golden House. Anyhoo, I'm mentally saving up for some awesome carving action with any eventually children, so for now I thought I'd make a nice, safe, non-organic spin card.
I've had my eye on Therese Travis's newest Halloween Friday Freebie cutting files, and finally an idea clicked. Her Jack O Lace made the whole idea fall together, and I couldn't resist using her Boo border for the inside of the square version. These were a lot of fun to make, and fairly easy since I used a spin card template I've used before. For color inspiration, I chose the simple yet elegant combo from this week's Scrapmaster's Paradise Color Combo: basic black, pumpkin pie, bashful blue. My blue isn't very bashful, but I love the way it informs on the back and orange. The SP Design Team example cards for this challenge are really inspiring!


Cutting files: Jack O Lace and Boo Border by Therese Travis
Challenges: SP Color Combo Challenge #69 (basic black, pumpkin pie, bashful blue)
Supplies: Cricut personal cutter, SCAL2 software, Recollections cardstock, ZipDry glue, Stickles, Michaels brand gem brad


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I truly appreciate it, and I will enjoy hopping over to your blog as well.