Sunday, November 7, 2010

Green

Don't get me wrong, I must have a certain amount of confidence to enter—what is it now?—seven challenges a week, but sometimes the enormity of the talent out there weighs on me. You know how it is: You're standing in the kitchen with your glasses fogging up from the heat of the embossing gun and you think to yourself, Perhaps I should leave this to the professionals. But then you suck on your fingers and remember how good it feels to sound your barbaric yawp over the blogs of the world...
The Midnight Madness Sketch Challenges by priscillastyles especially make me feel like this, which is in fact a compliment. So many talented people inspiring so many talented people! But I find myself entering their challenge week after week, I guess because of that yawp thing I mentioned earlier (original quote from Walt Whitman.) I still feel very green and creatively raw when it comes to cardmaking, but challenges like these help me develop my skills and keep me happily occupied. Thanks to all who've peeked at my cards! and especially thanks for commenting.
Anyhoo, I had lots of fun with this week's sketch:

I've really taken to coloring stamps on vellum, because it's a bit easier to keep within the lines and the end result really pops. I read about this technique somewhere in the blogosphere, where you color on the back of stamped vellum. I also broke out my brand new mist, and I'm hooked. I used painter's tape to mask the main stamp and spray on the mist background. It worked so well I couldn't believe it.
I choose a green/brown color palette because I'm in a flowery mood but can't separate myself from the autumn tapping on my window.

Inspiration: Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge #78
Stamps: Russian Dolls & Flower Circle Border by Hero Arts; silicon stamp by gstudio

Supplies: Tsukineko walnut ink antiquing solution (Eucalyptus); Recollections cardstock & vellum, StazOn brown ink,
Marvy & American Craft paint pens, Copic markers E33 & E35, Tim Holtz scissors, Fiskars papercutter, Cricut personal cutter, SCAL2 software

11 comments:

  1. Cg this is just so pretty. How lovely your colors and embellishments are. Great job with the sketch this week. Thank you for playing along with the Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge.

    Bear Hugs,
    Carol
    Midnight Madness Design Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. So unique and gorgeous. I totally love what you have done here. From the stunning background to the sweetest image, you rocked this challenge. Nicely done!!
    Thank you so much for playing along with the Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge.

    Denise P.
    MMSC Design Team

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW....such a vintage baby you have created. I, too, love coloring on vellum and you have done it very well. Thanks for sharing your sweet card with us and entering our weekly challenge. Blessings, Tracy--MMDT

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome card cg..I wish I used vellum more..I find it tricky to work with. You have made such a wonderful card here. I really love the color combo and the round corners. May I add that you are an eloquent writer. I wanted to personally thank you for your wonderful comments about the Midnight Madness team's work and for sharing your thoughts. Please know that the fact that you enter are challenges brings great joy to me, the team, other players and many viewers that "peek in" as you say. You yourself inspire others even if you don't always know it. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for being a part of our blogging world and for playing the Midnight Madness sketch challenges.
    Priscilla
    MMSC Hostess

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww - this is adorable! I am glad you play along so often with us - and totally agree with Priscilla's comments! I too was a player before I was a Guest Deisgner and now one of the Design Team - I know exactly what you are talking about - but once you get in there you find it is a group of fabulous people both DT and players and we all have fun and learn from one another! Your card is adorable - I love your image - I am glad we didn't miss this! We would love to see you again next week! {{{hugs}}}
    Linda MMSC Design Team

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a wonderful card, I love your coloring on the vellum...sooo pretty! Love the pratty back to this card too! I too appreciate your comments...challenges are the things that helped to boost my creativity in cardmaking too. There is also so much inspiration all around, and your blog is no acception!

    Thanks so much for playing this week in the Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge! Hugs!

    Connie
    MMDT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always remember, that even the most talented cardmakers started from scratch! Your card is fabulous and I love how you were able to combine so many techniques and produce such a fantastic creation! Thanks so much for joining us for the Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge and I hope you'll join us next week!
    Hugs, Darsie
    MMSCDT

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an AWESOME card!! I love the colors and images! Beautifully done!! Your writing is very interesting and enjoyable to read, I hope you do something with that talent. We are very pleased to have you play regularly in our challenge!!

    Phyllis MMDesign Team

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cg, Your card is so sweet with the little Russian doll as your center point. Great idea to color on vellum, I've tried that before and like the outcome too! I love the way you stamped the back of the card which finishes it off just lovely and your flowery mood is displayed in your creation! Love it! I'm so glad to read your honest post and remember that we all started somewhere! There are many days when I view others cards and think....wow I wish I could do that!!We learn from and inspire each other with our creations. Keep making your cards, feel good about them and allow us to enjoy them!
    Looking forward to seeing what you make this week.
    Hugs,
    Charlotte
    MMSC DT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi cg!

    I sooo know what you are talking about! I was a newbee no longer then a year ago. I looked at these talented ladies over at the MMSC and had doubts every week about daring to enter the challenge. But I did - and they came to comment, encouraging me. Their lovely comments always made me smile. I did not dream about being part of any Design Team, and being on the MMDesign team was so way out of reach I did not even dream about it. But here I am, only one year after feeling so small and insignifigant that I did not even dare to leave them comments.

    Let me qoute a little something from a song by a Norwegian singer named Maria Mena " And all this time you have had it in you, just sometimes need a push".

    You have it in you! - it shows in this card. I love how you focused the patterns to the centre and left the corners clean and simple.

    I hope that the love from the MM team will be the push for you to explore your creativity, to break all boundaries and nurish your talent!

    Thanks for joining Midnight Madness Challenge. Your support is highly valued, and we hope to see you playing with us again real soon ;o)

    Hugs
    Gunn
    MMSCDT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cg, I really, really love your Russian doll and I love the vellum technique you used! I can see that you have talent and a healthy helping of creativity! I was so touched with what you wrote this week, it wasn't too long ago that I had some of the same thoughts! I'm looking forward to seeing your upcoming creations. Thanks for joining us this week for the MMSC, I'll be looking for your creation next week!
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    MMDT-GD

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I truly appreciate it, and I will enjoy hopping over to your blog as well.