Wednesday, November 10, 2010

MADNESS I tells ya!

I want to thank everyone for the wonderful, heartfelt response to my post for last week's Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge. For once, I'm really without words. So, here's a super-fun card for this week's challenge!
And I used Color Throwdown Challenge #118 as well, because I love to make them smile too. And
O! how I do love their combos.
I wanted to use the digi stamp of our iguana Percy again, so I paired it with a favorite poem, "Ozymandias" by Percy Bysshe Shelley (our iguana's namesake). Using an iguana as a kind of metaphor works well with the poem's message, and I've done it many times before with very different projects. "Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

The colors are soft suede, cherry cobbler, and kraft. I chose to use the deep red for the text, which makes it more artsy than readable, but that's okay. I colored the image with pastels (that have been sitting in the attic for, my goodness, at least a decade) and Q-tips. I created the "soft suede" background with antiquing mist, on the same paper as the card itself. I ran the vellum text pieces through my sticker machine to give them complete adhesive coverage, and it really worked great! I really like how the iguana overlaps the text boxes but also shows through them. This was so much fun, I hope he likes it!

Inspiration: Color Throwdown Challenge #118 and MMSC79
Digi stamp: Iguana by Therese Travis for paperfacesdesign
Poem text: "Ozymandias" by Percy Bysshe Shelley
Supplies: Tsukineko walnut ink antiquing solution (Eucalyptus), Staples cardstock, Recollections vellum, Grumbacher pastels, InDesign, Tim Holtz scissors, ZipDry glue, Xyron sticker machine, Fiskars papercutter and embossing punch, Adobe Garamond typeface

4 comments:

  1. OMG....I love this. I, too like how the Iguana image shows through. Beautiful colors, actually two of my favorite colors! Nicely done!
    Thank you so much for playing along with the Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge.

    Denise
    MMSC Design Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great layout with the poem, very cool! Thanks for playing the Color Throwdown!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a cute and unique card. Love it! Thanks so much for joining us this week at Midnight Madness!
    Denise
    MMDT

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I truly appreciate it, and I will enjoy hopping over to your blog as well.