Saturday, January 14, 2012

Warding off the snow

I don't want to go jinxing things by saying that it's been a fairly mild winter so far, so I won't. It's bitterly cold today -- at least by my standards -- but sunny. We got a little bit of snow on Monday (exactly during rush hour, thanks Universe), which was very pretty and just enough, thank you. But 'tis the season, so I'm expecting we'll see a bit of the white stuff before Spring; hopefully I'll get to witness one of my favorite sights: a red cardinal in snow. The current theme at the Dilly Beans Challenge Blog is "Frosty," so I decided to make my own version of that scene, in card form!

December's Silly Dilly Beans Stamp Club freebie was their cute Winter Birdie (thank you Megan!), which I thought would be perfect for the "Paper Piecing" challenge at DRS Designs as well as the Totally Papercrafts "Spots & Stripes" and the Fussy & Fancy "Let It Snow!" challenges. I used the sketch from Repeat Impressions.


I paper-pieced the Winter Birdie digi with 3 papers onto a light blue; I added some details with Copics and then ran the whole piece through my embossing machine. I lightly sanded it to show the white core and create "snow".

For the base, I stamped and heat-embossed the grass and sentiment in jade green and white respectively. I picked up this old rubber Sea Grass stamp by Posh Impressions at a church rummage sale and I think I'm going to have lots of fun with it! I cut around the grass blades so that the image piece would fit behind it.

Stamps: Winter Birdie and Girlie Skellies digital collage sheet by Dilly Beans stamps, Sea Grass stamp by Posh Impressions, sentiment from Build-a-Snowman set
Paper: DCWV, Paper Company
Tools: Zip Dry & tacky glues, Fiskars papercutter, Versamark ink, Marvy heat tool, stamp block, Big Shot, MS detail scissors, Recollections double-sided tape, sandpaper, HP printer & ink
Embellishments: Recollections embossing powders, stash eyelets, Copic markers, stash ribbon, Polar White FlowerSoft

13 comments:

  1. Oh I just love the way you did this, so unique! Thanks for joining us at Dilly Beans! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very beuatiful, I love the colors !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun card! Is this what a "snowbird" really looks like? :)
    Thanks for playing at DRS Designs! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bitterly cold here too but no snow...yet! Extremely frosty though brr...Super cute card, love the snow on there! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cutie!! Love the birdie with his snow hat! Hugs, antonella :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. your paper pieced little birdie is so cute. I really like all the dimension you've created on this card. thanks for playing in DRS Designs challenge this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, this is adorable! Love it! I'm so glad glad you joined us at Dilly Beans this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This little bird is sooo cute! I love the detail you gave this image. You created a great card from the sketch. Thanks so much for playing with us at Repeat Impressions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty card. Love the little bird and gorgeous papers with that cute image.

    Plastic Cards
    Membership card Printing

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love what you have done here. The paper piecing is great and the way the embossing and sanding looks so much like snow is fantastic. Thanks for shareing with us at Dilly Beans this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the pleating on the ribbon! Thanks for sharing with us at The House That Stamps Built!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG!!! How cute and creative! Love how you've done the snow and paper pieced the birdie. Wish we had cardinals in CA. Thanks for joining us at Dilly Beans. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful - love the embossing! Thanks for joining F&F. Best wishes from Lisbeth K

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I truly appreciate it, and I will enjoy hopping over to your blog as well.