Monday, January 31, 2011

Color splash

I've been enjoying participating in the Play Date Cafe challenges, and this card certainly provided me plenty of play! This week's challenge is a color-splash of lilac on black-and-white, and although I deviated a bit with the blue teacups, I'm really taken with the bright result!

My favorite part of this card is the sentiment, that I stamped on two pieces of paper and aligned. O how I love white embossing powder! It says Enjoy the Little Things. I was a little reluctant to use this wild, two-sided paper, but it kept calling to me. I was also "called" to incorporate a swatch of pre-embossed, vine-themed white cardstock, to pop the teacups a bit.

I colored the teacups with watercolor pencils on watercolor paper, which was a breeze to cut out. I stamped an extra flower to pop-out. For me, vintage flower teacups have to be blue, or maybe pink. But usually blue. The little flowers (orchids?) on the side remind me of the flowers my favorite sushi bar used to put on everything...I remember wishing they would keep the flowers and cut $5 off my bill!

Inspiration: The Play Date Cafe Challenge #66: Lilac Color Splash

Supplies: Stacked Teacups rubber stamp from Stampendous!, sentiment stamp by Hero Arts,
Making Memories, K&Company, and Recollections cardstocks, StazOn ink, Fiskars papercutter, Offray ribbon, pop-dots, MS detailing scissors, Stampendous! embossing powder, Marvy heat tool, emery board and nail file, Loew-Cornell watercolor pencils, BV04 & V17 Copic Ciao markers (for inside flower and pop-dot coverage)

5 comments:

  1. Such a lovely creation! Thank you so much for playing along with us, this week, in the Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely card, the background is so striking! Thanks for playing at the PDCC this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. those teacups are gorgeous and I love the bold pattern you backed them with! Thanks for playing with us at The Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous!! What can I trade you for one of these?

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO FUN--love that you did the inside and outside of the card! Great job:) Thanks so much for playing along and joining in the fun over at the PDCC!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I truly appreciate it, and I will enjoy hopping over to your blog as well.