Monday, January 24, 2011

Emboss? Resist!

Ever since I saw Chupa's typically incredible card (with great instructions) for AnnaBelle Stamps' Emboss Resist challenge, I haven't been able to think of much else. Apparently, I've been doing this for some time without knowing the name, but I've never used the emboss-resist method to create a scene. It took some thought to find stamps in my stash that would work, and finally settled on a panda-hiding theme. Who doesn't like pandas‽

First, I stamped the leafy branches in green on off-white cardstock, and heat-embossed them with clear embossing powder. Then I stamped the pandas in black. Then, just for funsies, I made masks for the pandas and gave the whole thing a light spray with blue glimmer mist. One trick I discovered was that, if any ink did stay on the embossed portions, I could easily wipe it off with a paper towel. Did the same thing for the cutout branch, I just used yellow spray ink instead.

For extra inspiration, I looked to the Cards for Men Let's Party and Paperworks Co. Sunday Sketch challenges. I've been meaning to make cards that I can grab when I need them, and this seemed like a good potential birthday card. I cut the scalloped oval by hand, used a silicon stamp for the frame, and clear-embossed the sentiment. This card is pretty simple, but it's cute. And I will definitely use the emboss-resist method
(with great instructions) for a lot!Inspiration:
AnnaBelle Stamps "Say it With..." Challenge:
Emboss Resist
Cards for Men Challenge #2:
Let's Party!
Paperworks Co. Sunday Sketch #66

Supplies: Core'dinations, Paper Studio & Recollections cardstocks, StazOn, Memento & CraftSmart inks, ZipDry glue, Xyron sticker machine, Martha Stewart detailing scissors, Marvy heat tool, MeltArt embossing powder, Fiskars papercutter, corner punch & scalloped scissors, Tattered Angels glimmer mist, Inkadinkado spray ink & stamp mask paper, stash silicon stamp (leaves), rubber stamp by Stampin' Up! (panda), polymer stamp by Hero Arts (sentiment)

11 comments:

  1. Great card. Thanks for joining us over at Cards for Men and good luck with the challenge.

    Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  2. super cute little pandas, perfect hiding amongst the greenery! Thanks for playing along at AnnaBelle Stamps Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I'm not inclined to do stuff but I do like looking at cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your card is so cute!
    I love your Panda images and the way you used the glimmer mist, love your scenery design too!
    Thanks so much for playing along with us at AnnaBelle Stamps!

    Take Care,
    Kylie X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute card, I love your images!
    Thanks for playing along with is this week :)
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. great take on the sketch!

    thanks for playing PWCO SUnday Sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Pandas and the glimmer mist is very nice. Thank you for joining us at Cards for Men with our Let's Party challenge. We always love to see everyones cards. Good luck on the challenge.
    Hugs, Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your creation using Emboss Resist and the use of Glimmer Mist. I will definately have to try this technique. Very effective. Thanks for playing along!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for playing along with us at Paperworks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi CG, your card is so creative, just love the panda's and the leaves and your embossing really makes the images pop. So glad you could join in the AnnaBelle Stamps challenge, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely card,great image and the colours are beautiful...Thanks for joining us at Cards for Men...
    Mandy x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I truly appreciate it, and I will enjoy hopping over to your blog as well.