Friday, January 7, 2011

Sand Dollar Shaker

The Operators over at Stamping 411 posted a great tutorial for shaker cards this week, and I figured I'd try my hand at it while waiting to see what other bloggers come up with. Check out their tutorial and share your project too!

I decided to try to use the blue and purple sand dollars that I hand-colored and -stamped the other day and never used, and the result of which is surprising and pretty fun. I stamped some more for the inside of the shaker onto good ol' blue cardstock. For the "shaking" part, my eye happily landed on a forgotten pile of scraps from my border punch. I'd recently punched a blue-and-white piece and the resulting scraps couldn't have made better "water". At this point, I had a fun shaker...but no ideas for the card part.

After moving the shaker around a 5.5x4.25 piece of blue paper for a while, I retreated to the wisdom of Card Positioning Systems. Their circle-and-rectangle sketch was
exactly what this card needed. Because I'm me, I hid a brad behind the shaker so that the circle element spins.

For the quote I turned to one of my favorite lines ever, from one of my favorite poems and poets:
    Man looking into the sea,
    taking the view from those who have as much right to it as you have to yourself,
    it is human nature to stand in the middle of a thing,
    but you cannot stand in the middle of this [...]
    -from "A Grave" by Marianne Moore

If you're wondering why I chose these colors for sand dollars, it's because they often appear that color in the wild. So different from the dried version. The backing paper is a scrap of a special piece of fancy wrapping paper I found at a paper shoppe in Bethesda. To give the paper a boost, I shaded everything with pastels and set it with hairspray.

Inspiration:
Technique Thursday at Stamping 411: How to Make a Shaker Card
Sketch by Card Positioning Systems #199

Supplies: Sand dollar rubber stamp by Tin Can Mail/Inkadinkado, Marvy LePlumeII stamp pens, Inkadinkado stamp masking paper, Staples cardstock, Graphix clear plastic, ZipDry glue, Fiskars papercutter, circle punch and deckle scissors, Grumbacher pastels, Pebbles Inc. pom poms, Pergamano reverse-action tweezers, AquaNet hairspray, Martha Stewart scissors, pop-dots, Euphorigenic font by Ray Larabie, Michaels brad

2 comments:

  1. I love that you used purple for the sand dollars! I have seen them in the wild and they are so different than what you imagine!!! Such a wonderful shaker card!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! This is fabulous...love the sand dollars and the "water"! Thanks for playing along this week :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I truly appreciate it, and I will enjoy hopping over to your blog as well.