Sunday, January 9, 2011

It's Cool, it's warm, and it's about to poop on my porch

The crows of winter have taken over for now, chasing squirrel shadows across the branch-lined snow, but soon the robins will be back and we'll be entertained by their chubby, newly-flying babies finding refuge on our back deck and crying for guidance so pitifully that, eventually, an adult robin will come out and caw it back home, and in celebration it will make a pretty noise, and poop. Spring, and our porch, are always punctuated by such miracles of life; In the meantime, I thought I'd color some 1-dimensional birds. This stamp certainly captures those bird babies' attitude!

The Cool
Or Warm Colors Challenge at Make It Colourful was just too challenging to pass up, and I did learn quite a bit by separating my Copic markers. I Googled images of bluejays and cardinals for natural inspiration, and looked to Stamping 411 for the layout.

I chose this particular decorative paper because I had some scrap pieces perfect for stamping the "sincere sentiment", and the colors & patterns ended up fitting the image pretty well.
In a fit of
Don't waste this pretty paper, I used my CriCut to cut a 8.5x5.5 white card with a frame on one half, so that you can see the other side of the decorative paper when you open the card. Plus you end up with a pre-cut piece, ready to stamp.

After I put everything together, I edged the pieces, and the image, with Copic markers
Cool Shadow (Cool Colors card) and Canary Yellow (Warm Colors card). Using the chisel end of the marker made a really nice shading effect for the edging on the cardstock pieces.

I'm pleased with the coloring, but I suspect that technically it's just awful, or at least smacking of overzealousness. Ah well. All the elements seem to complement each other, and I've gained a whole new appreciation for the nosy and noisy robins that will soon invade the yard. Hopefully this year I won't have to coax one out of my dog's jaws...Ah, the miracle of life.

Inspiration:

Make It Colourful Challenge #1: Warm or Cool
Stamping 411 Saturday Sketch Challenge #185

Woodmounted rubber stamps:
Blubird by Carolyn Shores Wright for Stamps Happen, Inc.
Hello. by Idea House for gstudios

Supplies: Stampin' Up! paper (Subtles Patterns 2010), Recollections white cardstock, Memento ink, Cricut Expression, SCAL, Fiskars papercutter and corner punch, ZipDry glue, Offray ribbon, Copic Ciao B color set

3 comments:

  1. I love them both!! Also, the coloring looks perfect to me :) Thanks for playing along this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both card are beautiful. I love how you've used warm colours on one card and cold on the other! Beautiful work! Thanks for playing along with us at Make It Colourful Challenges! hugs, Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH YOU WENT WITH TWO HE HE HE BRILLIANT! Wonderful cards.Perfect coloring on both with your reds and blue's you can't go wrong.THANK YOU for playing with us at,Make it Colourful.RubyM:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I truly appreciate it, and I will enjoy hopping over to your blog as well.